Monday, August 1, 2011

Florence + The Machine

Cover art for Florence + The Machine's new CD Lungs





I bought the Florence + The Machine CD Lungs last weekend. I love it when I find a CD that I can play straight through and enjoy every single song! You may already be familiar with the song "Dog Days are Over", due to the prolific airplay it has been receiving on the radio. I also love the songs, "Rabbit Heart" and "Kiss With a Fist", but I have to say that I hate the video for "Kiss With a Fist". It makes light of the heavy topic of domestic violence. The words are so powerful and the video is playful, low tech and trivial. The images may go with the music, but not the content of the song. I am pissed off by it.






My daughter and I were listening to it in the car this morning. She asked me what Florence meant by "A kiss with a fist is better than none." I explained to her that unfortunately, some people have violent relationships and sometimes people do not love themselves enough and/or feel powerless to end the relationship that is hurting them. I took this opportunity to plant the seed that she should never be with someone who hurts her. She nodded her head vigorously in a "no duh" kind of way. I could tell that she found the concept horrific and I hated to diminish her childhood innocence, but the message is too important, to pass on such a teachable moment.
















2 comments:

Brian Judson said...

Thank you for taking advantage of this teaching moment. As sad as it is to whittle away at our little girl's innocence, I would rather her Mommy share her values in a forthright way than to have her pick up her cues from a pop culture which tends to trivialize unacceptable behavior. Thanks for being such a great Mom.

drollgirl said...

that is a helluva teachable moment! cripes! violence has NO PLACE in any relationship! cripes! NEVER! and i am glad you and your daughter are wise to that!