Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Lynda Barry

Self Portrait of Lynda Barry




I was once lucky enough to meet Lynda Barry in person. (Of course it was in person, it is not like I met her over the phone!) I told her that I was her number one fan. So she autographed my copy of her book, "To My Number One Fan, Liza". I was thrilled!

Apparently I have been neglecting my role as her number one fan though, because when I googled her today, I was shocked to find out that she has written a bunch of new books since we met! Yippee! I also found that she posts a weekly comic at marlysmagazine.com. For those of you not familiar to the wonder that is Lynda Barry, she used to write a weekly comic called Ernie Pook's Comeek. You can find a hilarious example here. Her comics are hysterical mixed with a bit of melancholy, kinda like life.

One of my favorite quotes of Lynda's is, "Humor is such a wonderful thing, helping you realize what a fool you are but how beautiful that is at the same time." You may read more of her brainy quotes at this cool website.


You can find a review of two of her new books on the creative process here. I can't wait to read them both!

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Yep, she is great!