Friday, July 29, 2011

My Favorite Tree

My husband took this picture yesterday of a baby raccoon getting caught stealing figs out of our tree. The raccoon was thinking, "Oh shit, what do I do now?"


Do you have a favorite tree? I don't mean a favorite kind of tree, but rather an individual tree that you have loved?


We planted this fig tree when we first moved to Savannah. It was only about two feet tall then and now look at it five years later. It is busting with figs! There is nothing like a fresh fig with a bit of Gorgonzola stuffed in the middle. Yummy sweet and cheesy goodness - it is so simple and yet so gourmet!


I planted this tree in our new home in honor of my favorite tree of all time. It was a giant fig tree that was in the backyard of the "Collective" that my family lived in with two other families in Berkeley, in the seventies. I know this explains a lot....


I used to climb this tree daily. The bark was smooth and the limbs were huge and spread out, making it a perfect tree to climb. I would climb up to the center of the tree and just hang out.


I remember my first ever bout with insomnia being the night that I spent fantasizing about building a tree house in this wonderful tree. My fantasy tree house was so cool! I was inspired by this television episode of "Zoom", where this teenage boy built this amazing multi-level tree house. I think it even had a bathroom, or if it didn't my fantasy tree house certainly did. I could not get it out of my head. This must have been my first house fantasy. Perhaps this has something to with why I am compelled to troll real estate websites, when I actually love my current home very much. Is this a pathology?


I hear that in Florida there are tree houses that you can go camping in. Learn more about them here.


I am sad to say that I do not believe that my daughter has ever climbed a tree. How can this be possible? It makes me want to run outside this very minute and scout out some good tree climbing trees for her. She needs to have this simple childhood experience before it is too late.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...



I love your post and blog so much!!!.))

I need your help. I spend another survey but this time with another question.
"Where do you prefer to shop? What is your favorite shopping center?"